Arum lilies have finally burst onto the scene; blooming in every wet gully & on sale at every intersection. Every so often as you walk the streets you catch a whiff of Jasmine, though I am yet to see any myself. The season of new things is on its way.
I don’t remember ‘Spring Day’ being talked about quite as much in previous years, but for some reason 1 September has been ringing in my ears for the past 10 days. Perhaps its because we’ve seen the worst of our Cape Town winter in the month preceding Spring & everyone is holding thumbs that we won’t have to sacrifice such a beautiful time of year? Even still, it’ll be a while till we see real Spring weather set in.
I wonder if you have any Spring rituals? Spring cleaning is of course a popular one – going through your cupboards/ wardrobe/ house & getting rid of things you don’t need. I’m going to an end of season clothes swap, so will rummage through my cupboards before I head there. Perhaps some emotional Spring cleaning; re-evaluating the year so far & thinking about how to finish 2011 well. The Spring Dash – making sure you make it into the ocean on Spring Day. Any others that I don’t know of?
Source: dearinspirationblog.blogspot.com via Tessa-Jean on Pinterest
A Few Spring Essentials while I ponder this delightful season:
Hat & sunscreen. Hats seem to have made it into fashion again this year, & I’m glad. Pasty winter skin won’t know what’s hit it soon, & skin cancer is over rated.
Skirts, shorts & a few Summer dresses; flowing florals seem to be all over the shops!
(These pretties are my gorgeous bridesmaids dresses. Pic by Illuminate.)
Strappy sandals to replace the socks & boots your toes have been cooped up in.
A picnic basket, cooler bag & blanket; I love being prepared to rummage in the kitchen for a light meal to enjoy in the sun, even if you can only get as far as your own garden. Sip a chilled Gin & Tonic or glass of white wine, Spring can’t be far now.
A good book. If you haven’t found a great read to curl up by a fire with, now the time find a few good stories to keep you company on the grass, for when you’re feeling lazy but it seems a crime to stay inside.
(Another of our wedding photos. Pic by Illuminate.)
Now for some Spring Adventures to try…
- A hike up Table Mountain or Lion’s Head, depending how adventurous you’re feeling.
- Visit the gorgeous new Green Point Park with a frisbee & a friend, or a flask of tea & a book. (Read this great article on the park if you haven’t discovered it.)
- Catch the train down to Kalk Bay, browse the shops, grab a coffee & then walk along the ocean back to St James.
- Ride the new BRT bus to Table View, visit a few different beaches & take in the postcard mountain view. Milnerton Market is also great if you’re out that way on the weekend, & like garage sales.
- Walk up to the Block House or along one of the pipe tracks around the bottom of the mountain – great views of the city from up there!
- Borrow a bicycle or brush the dust off yours & cycle down to your local Saturday morning market.
- Take a picnic up to Rhodes Memorial above UCT & find a patch of grass (watch out for the ants).
- Visit one of the many little parks & streams in & around Kirstenbosch, Newlands & Bishops Court that are great for drinking strawberry juice & reflecting on life.
Look, the winter is past,
and the rains are over and gone.
The flowers are springing up,
the season of singing birds has come… (Song of Songs 2)